Terrence Batiste indicted for stabbing murder of Central City neighbor
January 30, 2020
For Immediate Release

Contact: Ken Daley, Public Information

District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro’s office on Thursday (Jan. 30) secured a murder indictment against a Central City man accused of stabbing a neighbor to death at their apartment building last October.

Terrence Batiste was charged with the second-degree murder of 52-year-old David Erickson, as part of a five-count indictment handed up by an Orleans Parish grand jury. Batiste, 36, faces a mandatory lifetime prison term if convicted of the charge.

Batiste additionally was charged with obstruction of justice in a homicide investigation and two counts of battery against emergency room personnel for actions that occurred about an hour after New Orleans police found Erickson dead at 5:30 p.m. on Oct. 21, 2019. Batiste was arrested at the scene of the killing in the 2100 block of Louisiana Avenue and had been transported to University Medical Center for evaluation before being booked into the Orleans Justice Center jail.

Batiste was charged with a fifth offense — battery on a correctional facility employee — for an incident nearly a month later, involving bodily waste used against an Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office deputy on Nov. 14, 2019.

Erickson was stabbed multiple times and died just outside a fourth-floor elevator at the apartment complex where he and Batiste lived.

New Orleans police were summoned by an on-duty security guard, after a bloodied Batiste told her of an altercation. Video surveillance recovered by detectives showed the men exchanging words in the elevator, then Batiste getting off on the second floor and returning to the fourth floor armed with a knife. Batiste later was caught on camera tossing the knife over a fourth-floor balcony. The weapon was recovered by police.

Batiste has remained in the custody of the Eastern Louisiana Mental Health System since last Nov. 21, when he was deemed incompetent for court proceedings by Orleans Parish Magistrate Judge Harry Cantrell.

Assistant District Attorney Abigail MacDonald presented the case to the grand jury.