Rodney T. Marsh pleads guilty, gets 40 years for killing 2 in Desire-area shooting
June 14, 2019
For Immediate Release

Contact: Ken Daley, Public Information

District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro’s office on Friday (June 14) secured the guilty plea of a New Orleans gunman who fatally shot two people inside a Desire-area home in September 2017.

Rodney T. Marsh averted his upcoming double-murder trial by pleading guilty to two amended counts of manslaughter, one count of attempted second-degree murder, two counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm, obstruction of justice in a homicide investigation and a misdemeanor count of resisting an officer. With the plea, Marsh admitted responsibility for the shooting deaths of 22-year-old Cierra Green and 25-year-old Terry Jones on Sept. 6 and 9, 2017.

Under terms of the plea agreement approved by his victims’ families and Criminal District Judge Keva Landrum-Johnson, Marsh, 33, was sentenced to a state prison term of 40 years.

New Orleans police said Green and Jones were shot shortly before 5 p.m. on Sept. 6 in the living room of a home in the 3600 block of Kimi O’Grady Avenue. Marsh had also shot at but missed a second woman, who managed to escape the house and identify the shooter to detectives.

Green, a mother of three young daughters, was shot while seated on a sofa and was pronounced dead at the scene. Jones, found on the living room floor, was rushed to University Medical Center, where he died from his gunshot wounds three days later on Sept. 9.

The surviving witness told detectives that Marsh and Green were involved in an argument that turned physical. When Jones arrived and attempted to intervene, she said, Marsh let him into the house and then pulled a gun and began shooting.

Marsh was arrested on Sept. 14, 2017, when members of the NOPD’s Violent Offenders Warrant Squad and the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force found him as the passenger inside a woman’s car at a New Orleans East gas station. Marsh had a .40-caliber handgun tucked in his waistband when apprehended. At the time of the shooting, Marsh was on parole following a conviction for marijuana distribution.

Assistant District Attorney Tiffany Tucker prosecuted the case.