New Orleans teen indicted for double murder in botched Mid-City robbery
July 30, 2020
For Immediate Release

Contact: Ken Daley, Public Information

District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro’s office on Thursday (July 30) secured an indictment charging a New Orleans teen with the murders of two people during a botched armed robbery five months ago in Mid-City.

Eric Cloud was charged with two counts of armed robbery and two counts of second-degree murder in connection with the Feb. 8 shooting deaths of 25-year-olds Angel Funez and Nikura Gonzalez. The four-count indictment was handed up by an Orleans Parish grand jury.

Cloud, 17, faces a possible life sentence if convicted of either murder charge. Because he was not yet 18 when the fatal shootings occurred, Cloud if convicted could be granted parole eligibility after serving 25 years. However, he also faces 10 to 99 years on each armed robbery charge, with no parole eligibility requirement mandated by the state.

New Orleans police said images of the robbery and double murder were captured by a video surveillance camera.

Funez and Gonzalez got into a truck parked in the 4000 block of Ulloa Street around midnight, while being watched and followed by a male on a bicycle. The suspect pedaled away, but returned at approximately 12:25 a.m., approaching the driver’s side door of the truck. The victims appear to be ordered out of the truck, and each briefly struggles with the cyclist before being shot by the gunman. Funez died at the scene from a gunshot to his chest. Gonzalez was shot in the abdomen, and she died shortly after being rushed to University Medical Center.

A DNA sample recovered from one of the victims later was found to match a sample from Cloud that already was stored in the federal CODIS database (Combined DNA Index System). Additional evidence was recovered when a search warrant was executed by NOPD investigators at Cloud’s residence, a mile and a half from the murder scene.

An arrest warrant for Cloud was obtained Feb. 23, and the suspect was apprehended at a hotel in New Orleans East on March 4.

Assistant District Attorney Sarah Dawkins presented the case to the grand jury.