Contact: Ken Daley, Public Information
District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro’s office on Thursday (July 23) secured a second-degree murder indictment against a man accused of a fatal shooting last Christmas night in New Orleans’ St. Bernard neighborhood.
Kevon Henry was charged with the murder of 26-year-old Adonis Dussett, and with obstructing justice in a homicide investigation, in the two-count indictment handed up by an Orleans Parish grand jury.
Henry, 19, faces a mandatory lifetime prison sentence if convicted of the murder charge, and up to 40 years if found guilty of the obstruction count.
According to New Orleans police, Dussett and two relatives were at a Christmas party in the 1300 block of Senate Street around 8 p.m., when they confronted Henry and another man outside. Police said the men spotted Henry as matching the description of someone who had been seen inside a car stolen from one of the men days earlier.
As the group approached, police said, Henry drew a gun and fired toward the three men. One round struck Dussett in the back. He was pronounced dead after paramedics rushed him to a hospital.
Detectives developed Henry as the shooting suspect through witness testimony, social media images and criminal records. Henry also was identified as the shooter by at least one witness viewing a photographic lineup.
Assistant District Attorney Sarah Dawkins presented the case to the grand jury.
- Main Office
- 619 South White Street
- New Orleans LA 70119
- (504) 822-2414