Kentrell Lockett pleads guilty as charged to 8 crimes, including 3 carjackings
June 21, 2019
For Immediate Release

Contact: Ken Daley, Public Information

District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro’s office on Friday (June 21) secured the guilty plea of a New Orleans man charged last month with eight crimes, including three Gentilly-area carjackings committed over the past 13 months.

At a hearing scheduled to argue bond reduction and other pretrial motions, Kentrell Lockett instead rendered the pending matters moot by pleading guilty as charged to all eight counts filed against him May 8 in a bill of information. The 19-year-old admitted his guilt to three counts of carjacking, two counts of motor vehicle theft, and single counts of aggravated assault with a firearm, felony illegal possession of stolen things, and a misdemeanor count of illegal possession of stolen things.

Criminal District Judge Keva Landrum-Johnson ordered a pre-sentencing investigation report and said she will impose sentence on July 29. For his most serious convictions, Lockett faces up to 10 years in state prison on the gun charge and a term ranging from 2 to 20 years on each carjacking count.

The carjackings to which Lockett pleaded guilty occurred in the 6000 block of Painters Street on May 14, 2018; the 4700 block of Music Street on April 15, 2019; and in the 3700 block of Clematis Street on April 21, 2019. Two of the incidents involved Lockett illegally taking vehicles in which victims’ children still were inside.

In the 2018 incident, Lockett removed an infant in a car seat and left the child on a sidewalk before speeding off. In the April 15 carjacking this year, Lockett stole a woman’s car with two children inside when she entered a convenience store. He stopped and ordered the children out of the car by threatening to shoot them if they didn’t comply.

In Lockett’s final carjacking six days later, he accepted a woman’s offer of a ride after appearing thirsty and in distress, only to choke the driver before ordering her out of her car and driving off.

“This dangerous teen offender was becoming increasingly brazen and violent as his crimes progressed,” Cannizzaro said. “I’m thankful that New Orleans police were able to put a stop to his crime spree before someone was seriously injured or killed. While commendable that he chose today to plead guilty as charged in the face of overwhelming evidence, the fear he instilled in his victims and the peril he posed to our community cannot be overlooked next month when the judge imposes his sentence.”

Assistant District Attorney Darius Greene prosecuted the case.

###