Contact: Ken Daley, Public Information
District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro’s office on Wednesday (May 8) filed a bill of information charging Kentrell Lockett with eight crimes, including three Gentilly-area carjackings reported in the past 12 months.
Lockett, 19, is charged with three counts of carjacking, two counts of theft of a motor vehicle, one count of aggravated assault with a firearm, and two counts of possession of stolen property (one felony count, one misdemeanor count). Lockett’s case encompassing the charges is expected to be randomly allotted to a Criminal District Court judge Wednesday afternoon, when an arraignment date will be set.
The carjackings of which Lockett stands accused occurred in the 6000 block of Painters Street on May 14, 2018; the 4700 block of Music Street on April 15, 2019; and in the 3700 block of Clematis Street on April 21, 2019. Two of the incidents involved Lockett illegally entering vehicles in which victims’ children were still inside.
“This individual has become increasingly brazen and dangerous in his crimes,” Cannizzaro said. “He is, unfortunately, emblematic of the type of violent teen offender that I have repeatedly said poses our city’s biggest crime challenge in 2019. If New Orleans police won’t chase them, if our juvenile courts won’t hold them accountable, at least my office will do everything it can to stop their crime sprees when given a viable opportunity.”
Five of the charges in Wednesday’s bill of information initially had to be refused by the OPDA, because of insufficient evidence and two victim or witnesses who refused to cooperate with investigators and prosecutors. But after Lockett’s new arrests last month and additional witness interviews and evidence obtained by assistant district attorneys, those cases were made viable for prosecution.
The bill of information filed Wednesday charges Lockett with the following crimes:
- April 24, 2018 — Felony possession of stolen property, after Lockett was found inside a stolen car in the 7400 block of Kenyon Drive.
- May 14, 2018 — Carjacking of a woman in the 6000 block of Painters Street, in which Lockett removed an infant in a car seat and left the child on a sidewalk before speeding off.
- May 26, 2018 — Theft of a motor vehicle, taken from the 4600 block of Arts Street.
- May 27, 2018 — Misdemeanor possession of stolen property, a stolen phone a victim traced to Lockett which has not been recovered.
- June 27, 2018 — Aggravated assault with a firearm, after pulling a gun on a man during a dispute in the 2600 block of Gladiolus Street.
- June 30, 2018 — Theft of a motor vehicle, taken from the 4300 block of St. Claude Avenue.
- April 15, 2019 — Carjacking of a woman’s car after she entered a convenience store in the 4700 block of Music Street, leaving her two children inside. Lockett jumped in the car and drove off, then stopped and ordered the children out by threatening to shoot and kill them if they didn’t comply.
- April 21, 2019 — Carjacking of a woman who stopped in the 3700 block of Clematis Street to offer Lockett water and then a ride when he appeared in physical distress. Lockett choked the woman before ordering her out of her car and driving off in it.
- Main Office
- 619 South White Street
- New Orleans LA 70119
- (504) 822-2414