Jorge Hernandez indicted for kidnapping, raping 3 New Orleans women
June 27, 2019
For Immediate Release

Contact: Ken Daley, Public Information

District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro’s office on Thursday (June 27) secured an indictment charging a man with kidnapping and raping three women in New Orleans over the past six years.

Jorge Hernandez was charged with three counts of aggravated kidnapping and three counts of first-degree (or aggravated) rape in the indictment handed up by the Orleans Parish grand jury. Hernandez, 37, faces a mandatory life sentence if convicted on any of
the six counts charged.

DNA evidence linked Hernandez to three sexual assaults:

  • May 4, 2013 — A 33-year-old homeless woman reported being struck with a handgun and abducted from the parking lot of a food store in the 1400 block of North Claiborne Avenue. She was taken to an abandoned house under renovation where she was raped for several hours. This victim was reported murdered last October, but genetic evidence collected for her sexual assault kit was found to match a sample of Hernandez’s DNA stored in the federal CODIS database (Combined DNA Index System).
  • Nov. 16, 2018 — After gunfire erupted inside a Latin restaurant-bar in the 2900 block of Tulane Avenue, a 32-year-old woman escaped and hid between vehicles parked outside. A man later identified through DNA testing and a photo lineup as
    Hernandez forced her at gunpoint into his truck and took her to a nearby motel. The victim said she was forced to snort cocaine with the man before she was raped by him and robbed of $40. She managed to escape and hide inside a food store he took her to following the assault.
  • March 11, 2019 — A 40-year-old married woman said she was walking on Esplanade Avenue near North Derbigny Street when she was grabbed and dragged into a nearby vacant lot, where she was beaten with a stick, kicked in the face and body, and raped by a Hispanic man wearing a hat. The woman sustained a broken leg during the assault. After DNA results from her rape kit matched the stored sample of Hernandez, the victim identified her attacker through his photograph.

Criminal District Judge Camille Buras left unchanged Hernandez’s $500,000 bond amount set previously for two of the rape allegations. Bonds for the remaining charges will be set by the judge to whom his case is randomly allotted.

Hernandez is known to use different birthdates and several different aliases, including Jorge Abid, Jorge Abad-Hernandez, Jorge Luis Abad and Jorge Luis Hernandez-Abad.

Assistant District Attorney Mary Glass presented the case to the grand jury.

###