Darnell Braud found guilty of manslaughter in lakeside slaying of Peter Oatis Jr.
September 12, 2019
For Immediate Release

Contact: Ken Daley, Public Information

District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro’s office on Thursday (Sept. 12) secured the manslaughter conviction of a gunman who fatally shot another man during an encounter near the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain in 2017.

An Orleans Parish jury deliberated 5 hours and 20 minutes before finding Darnell “Red” Braud guilty of manslaughter instead of second-degree murder in the slaying of 22-year-old Peter Oatis Jr. The jury additionally found Braud guilty as charged of obstruction of justice in a homicide case and of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Braud, 28, faces up to 40 years in state prison on both the manslaughter and obstruction counts when Criminal District Judge Franz Zibilich imposes his sentence on Sept. 30. Those penalties are expected to be enhanced once Braud’s status as a double felony offender is established during the sentencing phase.

The Oatis murder is the second of three killings linked to Braud in the past 12 years.

Braud was charged in 2007 with the second-degree murder of 18-year-old Warren Martin. He pleaded guilty to an amended charge of manslaughter in 2008 and faced up to 40 years in state prison, but a New Orleans judge sentenced him to 12.

The Louisiana state parole board then granted Braud early release in April 2017.

Seven months later, Braud shot Oatis to death after the men met in the 5500 block of Lakeshore Drive. At the time of the killing, Braud was to be on supervised release through October 2019.

Braud has been indicted for a third killing, the fatal shooting of 25-year-old Jarivas Jarrow in the Leonidas neighborhood on May 24, 2018. It was after his arrest for this killing that New Orleans police investigators found that a DNA sample taken from Braud matched a sample of biological evidence recovered from Oatis.

A trial date for Braud in the Jarrow murder has not been set.

Assistant District Attorneys Inga Petrovich and Michael Trummel prosecuted the case.