Contact: Ken Daley, Public Information
Grieving New Orleans family members have notified District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro’s office that the man shot to death Sunday afternoon (April 5) near North Broad and Dumaine streets was Glynn McCormick.
McCormick, 33, was the indicted leader of a violent heroin-dealing enterprise awaiting trial for racketeering. Criminal District Judge Darryl Derbigny ordered McCormick’s release from custody on April 1, over objection from the state, in response to a Covid 19-related motion to reduce bond filed by McCormick’s defense attorney.
When McCormick was indicted in May 2018, his bond initially was set at $1 million. Derbigny reduced that bond to $150,000 three months later, over the state’s objection. The judge further dropped the bond to $50,000 last Wednesday, then converted it to a recognizance bond, allowing for McCormick’s immediate release over another state objection.
Four days later, McCormick was not sheltering at home from the coronavirus, but instead roaming his former drug-dealing turf known as “D-Block.” At about 3 p.m., McCormick was shot more than a dozen times near the corner of Dumaine and North Broad streets by someone wielding an assault-style rifle.
“This man’s violent death was completely avoidable,” Cannizzaro said. “So too was the extreme danger this spray of gunfire posed to the surrounding neighborhood residents sheltering in their homes during this health emergency. Perhaps this judge thought he was doing someone a favor disregarding our objection. But as we argued last week, Mr. McCormick’s release served no public health need and certainly no public safety purpose.”
McCormick was considered the leader among nine “D-Block” gang defendants indicted in May 2018, following a nearly year-long surveillance investigation by the New Orleans Police Department, the Orleans Parish District Attorney’s office, and federal agents from the DEA and ATF.
With all New Orleans residents — incarcerated or not — vulnerable to the rampant spread of Covid-19, prosecutors have helped reduce the city’s jail population by letting most judges’ bond-reduction or inmate release decisions stand unchallenged since mid-March. McCormick, given his dangerous criminal history, was an exception which warranted the state’s objection.
“We have in the last three weeks supported efforts by the courts and Sheriff Marlin Gusman to reduce the number of non-violent and first-time offenders inside the parish jail during this public health emergency,” Cannizzaro said. “But the threat of Covid-19 should not mean riskier or irrational public safety decisions now that we are down to the bedrock level of violent criminals still inside the jail. Our judges cannot make rash decisions that further endanger our city in this perilous time.”
Between March 14 and Sunday, the Orleans Parish jail population had been reduced by 20 percent, from 1,038 inmates to 833.
- Main Office
- 619 South White Street
- New Orleans LA 70119
- (504) 822-2414