Please note that acceptance and processing of new public records requests may be delayed during the COVID-19 STATE OF EMERGENCY OFFICE CLOSURE mandated by public health officials. Requests will be processed in the order received. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this public health crisis.
In accordance with the Louisiana Public Records Law, La. Rev. Stat. § 44:1, et seq., the Orleans Parish District Attorney’s office (“OPDA”) strives to promptly process all requests for public records.
Please make sure to include all of your contact information, as you will be notified when your request has been received. Your request will then be assigned a specific Public Record Request (“PRR”) number. Thereafter, this number will be included on all future correspondence to identify your PRR.
All PRRs should include the defendant’s name, date of birth, and case number. Docket/Case numbers may be found on the Docket Master system maintained by the Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office (www.opcso.org). Generally, records become public when a case file has been closed; however, all information contained within the case file is subject to a specific review to determine the availability of such documents and materials under La. Public Records Law.
In disseminating public records and information, OPDA must comply with current laws that regulate the release of information which would intrude upon the individual’s right to privacy. To ensure that privacy concerns are protected and that legal standards are met, certain information will be redacted prior to any documents being made available to the public. The following are examples of the information which will not be disclosed:
- Social Security Numbers
- Name, address, phone number, or identity of any victim of sex offenses or of any minor victims of any crime
- Rap sheets (Local and Federal)
- Identity of undercover officers or confidential informants
- Information which would reveal undercover, intelligence or ongoing operations or investigations
- Juvenile Court records
- Work product
- Records that have been lawfully expunged
- Records of any law enforcement agency relating to or pertaining to pending criminal investigations and prosecution
Once the requested records have been processed by OPDA and redacted for any privileged information, you will receive an invoice that will reference your specific PRR number. Please refer to this number when providing any such payment.
Please be advised that the following fees apply:
- Paper: Copies $0.50 each page.
- Electronic: Base fee of $25 for records copied onto a compact disc.
- Delivery: Additional delivery/postage fees may apply depending on form and/or bulk of delivery.
- Additional Fees: Additional service fees may apply depending on the scope of the request.
To submit a publice records request or to check the status of your request, please email email@example.com
- Main Office
- 619 South White Street
- New Orleans LA 70119
- (504) 822-2414